Duties and Responsibilities
- Determine why the patient is coming to the clinic.
- Measure visual acuity in each eye for near and distant vision with and without eye glasses for each patient. This is done the most of the eye clinic patients.
- To evaluate patients for Lasik or other refractive surgery and make recommendations as to treatment options to the ophthalmologist.
- Shall at all-time make the decision as to the appropriate treatment for every patient.
- Should re-check the refraction before every refractive surgery and monitor the calibration of the excimer laser machine and assist the ophthalmologist during the refractive surgery in the operation room.
- Record the name and badge number by pressing addressograph plate on clinic routing forms and prescription forms.
- Check vital signs of the patient and records it on the chart. This includes temperature, pulse, respiration rate, and blood pressure. This is done on some of the patients only. Records clinical data like chief complaint.
- Administer topical and systemic medications to eye clinic patient under supervision of ophthalmologist or ophthalmic nurse. Some of the eyes drugs are narcotics and dome are toxic.
- Measure intraocular pressure using schiotz tenometer. This is a delicate test that requires topical anesthesia to the cornea and gentle application of the instrument to avoid harm and cimplications.
- Irrigate the naso-lacrimal duct under the supervision of the ophthalmologist. This involves passing a delicate cannula in the naso-lacrimal duct and irrigation with a fluid with gentleness and patience.
- Take clultures from infected eyes. This entails rubbing the infected part with a sterile swab and putting in in a sterile tube maintaining the sterility of the swab and tube during the procedure. Takes scrapping for laboratory study by rubbing a sterile spatula over the conjunctiva of the eyelids.
- Prepare instruments for minor surgical procedures by opening sterile packs and removing instruments from sterile containers where sharp instruments are kept in cidex solution.
- Prepare patients for minor surgical procedures and certain examinations. This might involve cleaning the area, irrigating the eye with a clean solution, or application of eye drops according to the direction of the ophthalmologist.
- Obtain stationery supplies, sterile supplies from the central supplies, and medications from the pharmacy. Though this is done once a week, every day he has to return the used supplies to central supplies area and replace them
- Teach and counsel patients in the preventive aspects of ophthalmic care, this means advising them on simple cleanliness and hygiene when touching their eyes or the eyes of their children especially when infection or injury is the problem. Teaches proper use of eye drops or ointment.
- Provide maintenance of equipment and facility. He keeps the place tidy. Cleans sharp instruments before replacing them in the Cidex solution.
- Remove by electrolysis eye lashes rubbing on the cornea.
- Preform fitting of hard and soft contact lenses.
- Function to the maximum of his screening ability releasing ophthalmologist, orthotic technician, and senior general duty nurse for the care and treatment of patients requiring a higher level of skill and professional ability.
- Perform other applicable tasks and duties assigned within the realm of his knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Working Hours: 48 Hours / Week
- Working Days: 6 Days / Week
- Shifts: Straight Morning Shifts S/M/T/W (Mainly from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM including lunch-break) T (From 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM)
- Contract Period 3 Years Renewable
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Single Contract
Minimum Requirements for this Job:
- Professional Qualification: A Bachelor’s degree in Optometry from an accredited institute/college/university.
- Clinical Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of work experience as an Optometrist.
- Professional License: A current license/registration to practice as an Optometrist.
- English Proficiency Test: Required if the graduate’s education was not taught in English.
- TOEFL – a minimum score of 550; or IELTS – a minimum band of 6.0 or equivalent.
- Licensing Exam: Not Required
Salary and Benefits
- Gross Salary: 15,000 AED to 18,000 AED (Varies based on qualifications and years of experience)
- Service award, 21 Days per Year
- Air Tickets Once per year
- Healthcare Insurance
- Vacation 30 Days per Year
- Holidays 10 Days per Year
- Fluent in Arabic and English
- Age not to exceed 45 years’ old
|Job Category||Optometrist Jobs|